Flashing Wings with Extension – 2nd Degree Black Belt – Advanced Karate Training
Advanced Karate Training involves offensive and defensive moves. At the 2nd degree Black Belt level, practitioners not only learn to use short range weapons such as elbows (learned at Blue Belt Level), but also learn how to destabilize their opponent’s base by both attacking the legs with sweeps and simultaneously attacking the head and shoulders. The Demonstration below shows how to use Flashing Wings to take down your opponent.
FLASHING WINGS (front right step through punch)
- Standing naturally with feet together, step to your left on a 45* angle with your left foot (to 11 o’clock) as your left inward blocks on the outside of opponent’s right arm and your right arm cocks to your right hip (fist clenched and palm up).
- Shift into a left forward bow as you deliver a right inward horizontal elbow strike to opponent’s right ribs (with your left hand guarding and employing the bracing angle concept) which follows through and by-passes opponent’s ribs.
- Shift clockwise into a horse as you execute a right horizontal outward elbow strike to opponent’s right shoulder blade (just under it) as you simultaneously execute a left horizontal outward heel palm claw across opponent’s face.
- Continue to pivot clockwise into a right wide kneel (facing 5 o’clock) as you deliver a right hooking chop (out and diagonally while anchoring your right elbow) and left chop to the back of opponent’s neck.
- Shift counter clockwise into a left wide kneel as your left hand checks and pins opponent’s right arm to himself and your right hand chops (thrusting with the palm up) to opponent’s throat.
- After your right hand chops (thrusting with the palm up) to opponent’s throat, your left foot circles clockwise to sweep his right forward leg (outside in) the almost in the same move, your right foot circles clockwise (inside out) to buckle his right leg, as you execute a right palm heel thrust to opponent’s face (your left hand is checking at this point).
- Grab his face with your right hand and with your left band bracing on his back to assist you in turn him around counter clockwise and with his back to you while still maintaining your hold execute a right knee kick to opponent’s spine.
- With your right leg still in the air, deliver a right side thrust kick to opponent’s left back of knee to buckle him further, and while crossing out from your last kick, rip his face with your right hand toward 9 o’clock.
- Double coverout to 9 o’clock.
Te Overall, advanced karate training helps high level martial artists to continue to learn, develop and refine their techniques and skills. As you consider a martial arts studio, pay attention to the advanced classes to see if advanced students are provided with opportunities to keep learning and growing.