Kicks with What if Punches – Kenpo Techniques
American Kenpo Karate teaches Kenpo Techniques based on self-defense concepts and principles. Our offers professional martial arts training while also providing a great workout. Kenpo, an eclecticself-defense-based art, incorporates kicks and punches, as well as some grappling that use concepts and principles of physics for maximum results. In the video that follows, Master Rick Jeffcoatsteaches some “what if” punches that might follow kicks. The techniques demonstrated are explained below:
DEFLECTING HAMMER (Right Front Thrust Kick)
- With your feet together step back with your left foot into a right neutral bow stance as you execute a right deflecting downward block against the outside of opponent’s kicking leg. (This is done on a line from 11 o’clock to 5 o’clock.).
- From your right neutral bow, execute a left inward check to outside of the opponent’s right arm (at or above the elbow).
- Immediately shuffle forward (push drag) as you execute a right inward elbow strike to opponent’s right rib-cage or face, depending upon the circumstances.
- No cover out is required.
THRUSTING SALUTE (Front Straight Right Snap Kick)
- While sanding naturally, as your opponent attacks you from the front with a right step through kick, step with your right foot to 4 o’clock into a left neutral bow as you block opponent’s kick with a left outside downward block. A double downward block may also be used for more blocking power.
- Execute a right step through front snap kick to your opponent’s groin. Both of your hands will be acting as positional checks as this move is executed.
- Plant your right foot towards 10 o’clock into a right neutral bow as you execute a right thrusting heel palm strike to opponent’s jaw. Gravitational Marriage is used with this action. Your left hand should be checking.
- Right front crossover in reverse as you cover into a right neutral bow.
BUCKLING BRANCH (Front Straight Left Kick)
- While standing naturally with both feet together, step with your right foot, to 4 o’clock into a left neutral bow as you simultaneously execute a left outside downward block against the outside of opponent’s left kick. A double block may be used if preferred for more blocking power. You will be facing your opponent from the rear after this move is completed. (Zone of Obscurity).
- Execute a right step through upward snapping ball kick to opponent’s groin. You should be checking with both hands as this move is executed.
- Plant your right foot towards 11o’clock into a right front twist stance. From the twist stance execute a left snapping side kick against the inside of opponent’s right leg. You should still be checking and guarding with both bands.
- Left front crossover in reverse as you cover into a left neutral bow.
SWINGING PENDULUM (Front Right Roundhouse Kick)
- Standing in a right neutral bow, as your opponent attacks with a right roundhouse kick, move your left foot up the circle to 4 o’clock and strike with a right inward, left downward (universal block) to opponent’s kick. You should be in a right neutral bow.
- Shuffle forward to 11 o’clock and execute a right hammerfist to opponent’s groin. Reverse the motion of your left hand as it raises and becomes a positional check.
- Move your left foot up the circle to 3 o’clock, into a solid horse stance. and execute a right obscure elbow to opponent’s jaw. Your elbow will contour opponent’s body as it strikes.
- Cover out in the usual fashion.
HUGGING PENDULUM (Right Front Side Kick)
- While in a fighting stance (right neutral bow), shuffle back slightly as you deliver a right hammering downward diagonal block (hooking your blocking arm so that it travels from 11 o’clock to 5 o’clock) on the outside of opponent’s right kicking leg.
- Immediately do a left front crossover as your right hand cocks horizontally across your body (palm in) with your left hand in guarding position and deliver a right knife-edge kick to inside opponent’s left knee.
- Follow-up with a right horizontal back knuckle strike to opponent’s mastoid or temple (as you plant your right foot forward) arching wide to the right and returning with a right inward horizontal hooking heel palm claw to opponent’s face while maintaining a bend in your right elbow.
- Cover out in usual fashion.
RETREATING PENDULUM (Front Right Thrusting Heel Kick)
- While in a right neutral bow, drop back with your right foot into a left front twist stance. simultaneously deliver a right outside downward block to opponent’s kicking leg and check with your left hand by your right shoulder.
- Immediately deliver a right knife·edge kick to opponent’s left leg, to inner knee.
- Plant your right foot forward toward 12 o’clock and have your left hand check high dose to your armpit.
- As your block circles counter clockwise and without losing any momentum follow·up with a right overhead downward hammerfist to opponent’s neck as you plant your right foot toward 12 o’clock.
- Pivot to your left into a right reverse bow and deliver a right rear scoop kick to opponent’s groin, your right leg between your opponent’s leg at this point. You may have to drag your left foot toward your right foot to assure proper distance for your rear scoop kick.
- Cover out in usual fashion.
Without a doubt, Kenpo Techniques offer martial artists a range of possible responses!Master Rick Jeffcoat teaches students to use the concepts and principles of the art to develop self-defense strategies that will work both on the mat and in the street. He is a world famouskenpoist, a first generation student of Mr. Parker, and an incredible sensei. He works with only the best and promises you the opportunity to work with some of the best kenpoists in the world.